After two years research work as a student assistant in Dr. Kezhong Zhang’s laboratory of the Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics, I was given the opportunity to be a graduate student in the PhD program of the department. The most attractive characteristic of CMMG to me is the interdisciplinary environment from a broad view of translational biomedical research which allows me to focus on my interest of the hepatic metabolic syndromes and to explore the possible treatments for liver diseases.
Advisor: Dr. Kezhong Zhang
The molecular regulation on the pathogenesis of the association between metabolic syndromes and liver diseases:
Airborne particulate matter-induced hepatic metabolism dysfunction in a mouse model.
The liver-specific transcriptional factor CREBH regulates hepatic lipid and glucose hemostasis upon metabolic stress.
Awards and recognitions
2nd place and travel award of the departmental poster competition in CMMG, 2010
1st place of the oral presentation session III in School of Medicine, 2011
- Departmental travel award in CMMG, 2012
- Zheng Z, Xu X, Zhang X, Wang A, Zhang C, Huttemann M, Grossman LI, et al. Exposure to ambient particulate matter induces a NASH-like phenotype and impairs hepatic glucose metabolism in an animal model. J Hepatol 2013;58:148-154.
- Qiu Q, Zheng Z, Chang L, Zhao YS, Tan C, Dandekar A, Zhang Z, et al. Toll-like receptor-mediated IRE1alpha activation as a therapeutic target for inflammatory arthritis. EMBO J 2013;32:2477-2490.
- Mendez R, Zheng Z, Fan Z, Rajagopalan S, Sun Q, Zhang K. Exposure to fine airborne particulate matter induces macrophage infiltration, unfolded protein response, and lipid deposition in white adipose tissue. Am J Transl Res 2013;5:224-234.
- Zhang C, Wang G, Zheng Z, Maddipati KR, Zhang X, Dyson G, Williams P, et al. Endoplasmic reticulum-tethered transcription factor cAMP responsive element-binding protein, hepatocyte specific, regulates hepatic lipogenesis, fatty acid oxidation, and lipolysis upon metabolic stress in mice. Hepatology 2012;55:1070-1082.
Zheng Z, Zhang C, Zhang K. Measurement of ER stress response and inflammation in the mouse model of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Methods Enzymol. 2011; 489:329-48.
Zheng Z, Zhang C, Zhang K. Role of unfolded protein response in lipogenesis. World J Hepatol. 2010 Jun 27;2 (6):203-7.
- Lee JS*, Zheng Z*, Mendez R, Ha SW, Xie Y, Zhang K. Pharmacologic ER stress induces non-alcoholic steatohepatitis in an animal model. Toxicol Lett 2012;211:29-38. * Contribute equally.
- Wang G, Liu G, Wang X, Sethi S, Ali-Fehmi R, Abrams J, Zheng Z, et al. ERLIN2 promotes breast cancer cell survival by modulating endoplasmic reticulum stress pathways. BMC Cancer 2012;12:225.
Laing S, Wang G, Briazova T, Zhang C, Wang A, Zheng Z, Gow A, Chen AF, Rajagopalan S, Chen LC, Sun Q, Zhang K. Airborne particulate matter selectively activates endoplasmic reticulum stress response in the lung and liver tissues. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2010 Oct; 299(4):C736-49. Epub 2010 Jun 16.